Chesterfield General Hospital offers a sleep lab staffed by qualified sleep technicians and test results are read by a board certified sleep physician. The sleep center diagnoses and treats a variety of sleeping disorders including sleep apnea. A sleep center patient is usually referred by their primary care physician and undergoes a test conducted on site that is safe and painless.
Sleep Disorders are a common medical problem which can lead to hypertension, diabetes, stroke or heart disease. Untreated Sleep Disorders can lead to a lower quality of life and reduced personal health.
Among the most commonly diagnosed sleep disorders are:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)
- Central Sleep Apnea
- Primary Snoring
- Periodic Limb Movement Disorder
Here is a helpful screening devise for OSA. “Yes” to two or more of these questions is a positive screen for OSA. Consult your physician; you may need a sleep study.
- Do you snore?
- Are you excessively tired during the day?
- Have you been told you stop breathing during sleep?
- Do you have a history of hypertension?
- Is your neck size >17 in. (male) or >16 in. (female)